Montmorency County Road Commission
Freedom of Information Act Policy
Policy No. 15-01
Effective May 14, 2015
The policy of the Board of Montmorency County Road Commissioners (MCRC) shall be to provide citizens information regarding the affairs of the MCRC as required by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Public Act 442 of the Public Acts of 1976 MCL 15.231 Et. Seq.
All requests must be made in writing. FOIA requests received by facsimile copy, electronic mail or by other electronic means, is deemed received the first business day following its transmission. The request must sufficiently describe the information to be provided.
The FOIA Coordinator is the Managing Director of the Montmorency County Road Commission or his designate. The FOIA Coordinator shall provide records, has the authority to issue notices extending response times, or deny requests in whole or in part, on behalf of the MCRC as required by the FOIA.
The FOIA Coordinator will respond in writing to a FOIA request within 5 (five) business days of receipt using the Notice of Freedom of Information Act Response form.
Fees for search, inspection and copying shall be:
- Labor costs (including 50% fringe benefit costs) for the time spent searching for, examination of, review of and duplication of documents, and the deletion and separation of exempt information from non-exempt information-billable in 15 minute increments.
- Fee for copying letter and legal size—ten cents per copy.
- Fee for certification maps—ten cents per sheet.
- Fee for plans—actual cost for preprinting plans.
- Actual cost of mailing requested documents.
- A good faith deposit of 50% of actual costs will be required if the estimated fee for the search, examination, review and duplication of documents exceeds $50.00.
There will be no charge or a reduced charge if the search, inspection and copying is determined to primarily benefit the general public as determined by the MCRC.
There will be no charge for the first $20.00 of the fee for each request if an individual requesting the documents provides an affidavit stating that they are receiving public assistance or showing that they are not able to pay the cost because of indigence.
In calculating the labor costs authorized by this policy, MCRC will not charge more than the hourly wage and associated fringe benefit costs of the lowest paid MCRC administrative employee capable of retrieving the information necessary to comply with the request.
Fees must be paid in full to the MCRC prior to actual delivery of the copied documents.